Friday

homemade basil pesto

 Harvested quite a bit of my herbs the other night.  And, I finally got around to making some fresh pesto.  I must say, the house smells amazing after pulsing in my food processor and then when you add the other ingredients-you just want to dive in the bowl. (nk)
 I placed mine in an ice tray to freeze and make it easier to use when I need it.
Here's a look...




Fresh Basil Pesto
1 1/2 c. chopped fresh basil
1/2 c. olive oil
1/3 c. pine nuts, walnuts or sunflower seeds
1/3 c. grated parmesan
1 T. minced garlic
1/4 t. chili powder

Place basil in a food processor and pulse for a few seconds and then add 1 T. olive oil and pulse to get moistened and get it ready for the other ingredients. Gradually add the rest and blend until smooth.
I put about 1 1/2 T in each ice cube slot in a plastic tray.  Freeze overnight and then pop out and place in freezer bag until ready to use.
* If you plan to use immediately, store in airtight container in the fridge but before doing so, add a thin layer of olive oil to top off and then place lid on.  It will keep it fresher and it will last a few days if stored this way.  Enjoy!

No comments: