Saturday

Tea Storage Box

I found this bamboo tea storage box at Tuesday Mornings for under $12 bucks the other day. I'd been wanting one since we're big tea drinkers around here and I have quite the collection of teas...so, I decided to get creative with it since it was so plain lookin'.


Here's what else I bought and some items I already had on hand.
1) Foam brushes
2) Acrylics (I used Americana  brand in Light Mocha and Raw Umber)
3) Antique Medium in #819
4) Quick Hold Glue (you can also use  a hot glue gun)
5) Mod Podge
6) Decorative Pieces (I used scrapbook paper, a cross charm and glass pieces)
7) Polyurethane gloss
8) Candle cup wooden pieces (you'll need 4 for the legs)








I based my box with one coat of the ligther color paint, allow to dry then do a coat of the darker color. While that's drying, paint the wooden candle cup pieces in the same darker color.  After all this is dry, blend the two colors (the lighter and darker) and give one sweep on the lid part only for a variation look. I touched up with the antique medium to give it character. Allow to dry. In the meantime, I got the scrapbook paper and tore it into two big pieces and then burned the edges to give it a worn-old look. 

Use the Mod Podge to cover the backside of both paper pieces and glue centered on top of lid.  Then coat the lid and paper with a sweep of the Mod Podge and allow to seal and dry completely before the next step. 





Now you're ready to glue the feet in place. 
After all of this is dried off, coat the entire box with the polyurethane coating gloss. Make sure to wipe around the edges so the box will not seal permanently. Once this is dry you are ready to glue your accent pieces on the top.  Viola!  You can now fill your little box with an assortment of tea bags.

5 comments:

Holly Renee said...

That's awesome! You did such a great job. I am an awe. We are big tea drinkers as well, this is so cool!!!

Belle Jaeger said...

Thank you Holly and the thing about it is you can basically paint to go with your color scheme and add whatever embellishments that you like to make it "yours." Hope you can find you a box and try one out for yourself. Keep me posted if you do, I'd ♥ to see it!
Thanks for stopping by! Belle

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog because now I found you !
I was reading your other blog and read that you are in the Dallas area ~ We are in Keller ~

xoxo
Lori

Belle Jaeger said...

Hi Lori-yes I'm a newbie to the D-area. I'm lovin' it! I love your blog as well. We'll have to stay in touch as we seem to have similar tastes! I'll be a follower.
Have a great weekend~ Belle

Unknown said...

Such a nice information of useful and attractive boxes. You can find here the information about Treasure Chest boxes.