Wednesday

Potato Chips

Who doesn't love Lay's potato chips? To this day I remember the very first time I ever tried them. It was my first day of kindergarten and my mom had packed me a lunch. And in the brown paperbag was a sandwich and a bag of Lay's potato chips. Every time I open a bag of Lay's that smell sends me back to that day and that classroom. Some of you are saying, "geeze really? You were 5 when you first tried a bag of chips?" Yep! Mom and dad were pretty frugal with what they had and chips were not an everyday staple on their grocery list.
The reason for memory lane is that today while I was shopping I went by the chip aisle to pick up a bag to go with our grilled burgers for dinner. I was shocked to see that a large bag of Lay's was $4.69! I believe that you can judge the character of someone by what they do for someone when times are tough. Well, with the economy the way it is, so many people unemployed and parents trying to get their kids ready for back to school, I wondered how many parents will not be buying them and putting them in their kiddos lunch sacks. I am sure there are kids out there that have never tried a bag of Lay's--right? And surely Frito-Lay isn't struggling financially--I haven't heard them asking the government for a bailout. LOL. But seriously don't you think Frito-Lay and others would sell more by offering affordable merchandise to consumers in this economic slump? Why is it that people are losing homes, jobs and prices keep going up? And that bag of chips to go with my hamburger, I went with a $2.29 generic brand. Couldn't part with $4.69--seriously.

No comments: