Friday

turn me on- with a little class!

I wanted to share this little project with you---especially you Harry Potter lovers!  The quote above was taken from one of the series and is a rather cool quotation.  I had seen some personalized light switch plates and got the idea to head over to HL and purchase a muted piece of scrapbook paper (nothing to "stand outish"). 
Next, to my laptop and printer. 
I created a template layout using Word and typed the quote in.
Then I printed a sample on a regular piece of paper.  I used the actual switch plate to align the wording with the openings for the switches, etc
Once I got it where I wanted it, I printed it on my cute scrapbook paper.  On the backside of the paper, I traced all the openings and allowed about a 1/4" trim around each edge.  Then, using an exacto knife, I carefully cut them out.  (I didn't do anything to the placement of the screw holes).  On to clean the plate very well and allowing it to dry.
Next I spread a thin layer of Mod Podge on the backside of paper and a heavier swipe on the switch plate cover.  I gently covered the plate and smoothed off any bubbles and creases.  Folded over the excess to the back (along with the cutouts) and allowed it to dry for about 35 to 45 minutes. Presto!
*(I must add that after I got the one pictured all done, I realized I didn't put the "e" at the end of Dumbledore! Dang it!  So I had to make another--so check your spelling!)

Now I have a very cute switch plate cover and all I had to buy was the paper (50 cents)! 

Quotation:
Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times
If only one remembers
to turn on the light~
Albus Dumbledore

No comments: